Presidential Barbershop brings Puerto Rican culture to Cheyenne

Emilee Geist

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (Wyoming News Now) – If you are walking in downtown Cheyenne on any Saturday, you will be greeted with music, laughs and food. Something Angel Maldonado put everything into to build up Presidential Barbershop Nine-years-ago. © Provided by Cheyenne-Scottsbluff KGWN-TV Presidential Barber Shop brings Hispanic Culture to Cheyenne […]

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (Wyoming News Now) – If you are walking in downtown Cheyenne on any Saturday, you will be greeted with music, laughs and food. Something Angel Maldonado put everything into to build up Presidential Barbershop Nine-years-ago.



a room that has a sign on a wall: Presidential Barber Shop brings Hispanic Culture to Cheyenne


© Provided by Cheyenne-Scottsbluff KGWN-TV
Presidential Barber Shop brings Hispanic Culture to Cheyenne

Angel is Puerto Rican and from Brooklyn, New York, his wife was in the military and got stationed in Cheyenne. When Angel first opened up Presidential Barbershop he says he wasn’t ready to go all in, since his wife was in the service, but once they found out Cheyenne was going to be home, Angel says “it just gave me the availability to really put everything I wanted, that I was doing before here into Cheyenne.”

“The culture was just a little different how I was doing it, personally.” Angel says, “The market I thought was wide open, for a different type of swag, for innovative barberie.”

While Presidential stays busy, Angel is very humble when talking about his barber shop “Shout out to all shops you know what I mean from traditional shops, to old school to new school to becoming better in this industry, I say it’s different because we provide a culture a swag.” He adds “I am from Brooklyn. so we are constantly into music, fashion and art, and Cheyenne has all of that so we are adding a piece to the puzzle.”

Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated From September 15 through October 15, with Angel being Puerto Rican he brings the PR culture to Cheyenne through his style, food, music and art. Presidential has had Puerto Rican food tastings in the shop for clients, staff and those in the Cheyenne community.

Angel says “As far as Puerto Rican culture to Cheyenne, I feel like its me, you know, I bring my Puerto Rico culture and New York Culture to Cheyenne and I display it in many different ways”

Wyoming News Now: “So you are a Nuyorican”

Angel: “There you go, see that’s perfect and a lot of people don’t understand that cause, going to Puerto Rico that’s like Puerto Rican, New York that’s like a New York Rican two different styles and lingo.”

When it comes to community Angel makes sure to give back, when you walk past the shop you will see signs for High School seniors who weren’t able to walk, because of COVID-19 or signs for those running for City Council. The shop will also sponsor sports teams and during the holiday’s they give back to less-fortunate families.

Angel says “We’re doing a give back, actually, incorporating us, peace builders and Arts of Cheyenne, October 16 bringing Nef the Pharaoh to be the first hip-hop show at the Lincoln Theatre.”

According to the Wyoming Census 92.5% of the population is made up of White people the other 7.5% is made up of other race’s and ethnicities, so for kids, having representation in everyday life is important to see, something Angel recognizes.

“If I am a motivation or inspiring I guess I’m opening eyes, showing encouragement and I’m showing a new direction to help, you know, believe.” said Angel.

Angel says expanding his shop is about giving someone the opportunity in the industry and family, and his employees are just that.

Derek Mendoza, who has worked with Angel for five years, says “Presidential as a whole brings more than just barbering, we have military here, we got people coming from everywhere to Wyoming. I wouldn’t say there is no culture here, but there is not a lot. So, when these people come from all these other places they can feel at home when they’re in our chair.”

Angel says what makes his shop so successful is they care about the cuts, the value they bring, how they care about people. “People want to get hair cuts here, because of how dedicated we are to the process of the person first rather than making money.” He then laughed, “But we make money though, we make money!”

Presidential is not just a barbershop, there is also a music studio.

Copyright 2020 Wyoming News Now. All rights reserved.

Continue Reading

Source Article

Next Post

Videos likely evidence in fatal Denver shooting near protests

Witness video shows Matthew Dolloff calmly lay down his weapon as police close in with rifles pointed at him. DENVER — EDITOR’S NOTE: 9NEWS covers many different kinds of stories, but it is rare that the television station is directly involved in them. Because of that, 9NEWS brought in reporter Jason […]